Whether you’re a professional cook or an amateur, owning a quality cutting board can make a big difference in your kitchen. Just the way you get the best quality knife from reliable kitchen knife brands, you need to do the same for the cutting boards. But what’s the best cutting board to buy? It really depends on what you’re looking for.
There are many different types of cutting boards available on the market, made from a variety of materials. Wood cutting boards are popular for many cooks as they’re durable and easy to clean. However, there are other cutting board materials, including rubber, plastic, and glass.
With so many cutting boards available in the market, getting a good cutting board for your kitchen can be tricky.
Luckily, kitchen infinity have your back. We have sampled and tested some of the best cutting boards for knives in the market and ensure they fit the mark. You can trust us to bring you a comprehensive review of the best cutting boards in the market as we work with a team of professionals when it comes to kitchen products. With so many years testing and reviewing kitchen products, you can never go wrong with our recommendations.
Read on to find the best cutting boards for your kitchen, including wood cutting boards, plastic cutting boards, and more.
Top Picks for Cutting Boards
- 1. Best Wood Cutting Board - John Reversible Cutting Board
- 2. Best Plastic Cutting Board - OXO Good Grips Carving and Cutting Board
- 3. Best Acacia Wood Cutting Board - Aidea Acacia Wood Cutting Board
- 4. Best Paper Composite - Epicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board
- 5. Best Budget - Greener Chef Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board
Jump to Section
1. John Boos Reversible Cutting Board
If you’re looking for heavy duty, professional grade cutting board, look no further than the John Boos Reversible Cutting Board. This board is made from edge grain construction, meaning the boards are glued together with their long sides facing out.
This makes for a very sturdy and durable cutting board that can withstand years of heavy use. The John Boos board is also reversible, so you can use either side for different tasks. The wood is also treated with a food-safe oil to help protect it from moisture and staining. There are also no knife dents or nicks on the wood grain.
And because the ends of each piece make up the cutting surface area, your board boasts a stunning checkerboard that allows your knife’s edge to sink easily into the wood fibers.
2. OXO Good Grips Carving Cutting Board
If you’re looking for a cutting board that is easy to clean and won’t dull your knives, then the OXO Good Grips Carving and Cutting Board is a great option. This board is made from durable, non-porous HDPE plastic. This material is easy to clean and won’t absorb food stains.
This is a large utility cutting board that’s reasonably priced and will last you for years to come. The OXO Good Grips Carving and Cutting Board has a non-slip surface that keeps it firmly in place while you’re cutting. This board is also dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
3. Aidea Acacia Wood Cutting Board
This is a budget friendly wood cutting board that’s made from acacia wood. Acacia wood is a hardwood that’s known for its durability and resistance to moisture. This board has a beautiful grain pattern that will make it a kitchen countertop piece. The Aidea Acacia Wood Cutting Board is also reversible, so you can use both sides of the board.
4. Five Two Bamboo Cutting Board
The Five Two Bamboo Cutting Board is the perfect size for meal prep. It’s large enough that you can chop all your veggies on it at once, but not so large that it takes up too much counter space. It’s an edge grain board, meaning it was made with strips of wood that are arranged side by side and then grafted together.
This board is made from bamboo, which is a sustainable and environmentally friendly material. Bamboo is also gentle on knife blades, so your knives will stay sharper for longer. The board is durable and sturdy, and it has a juice groove to catch any drips.
5. Epicurean Kitchen Series Cutting Board
The Epicurian Kitchen Series Cutting Board is a beautiful and functional cutting board that will make meal prep a breeze. This board is made from edge grain construction, meaning it was made with strips of wood that are arranged side by side and then grafted together.
The Epicurian Kitchen Series Cutting Board is the perfect size for meal prep and is gentle on knives. The bamboo construction is also sustainable, making this board a great choice for eco-conscious cooks. Plus, the juice groove catches any drips, making it ideal for carving meats or cutting fruits and vegetables.
6. Greener Chef Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board
For professional chefs who are looking for a budget friendly option, the Greener Chef Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board is a great choice. It’s made of 100% organic bamboo and is large enough to accommodate all of your meal prep needs. Plus, it’s gentle on knives and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Cutting Boards
When shopping for the best cutting boards, there are several factors you’ll want to keep in mind. Here are some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a cutting board to go well with your best kitchen knives:
The material of your cutting board will play a big role in how long it lasts, how easy it is to clean, and more. Some common cutting board materials include wood, plastic, rubber, and glass.
- Wood cutting boards: Wood is an excellent material for cutting boards because it’s durable, easy to clean, and gentle on knives. Some wooden cutting boards even exhibit self healing properties against constant knife cutting. The wooden cutting boards are also beautiful. However, wood cutting boards can be more expensive than other options and require more maintenance to prevent drying and cracking.
- Plastic cutting boards: Plastic is a popular material for cutting boards because it’s inexpensive and easy to clean. Plastic cutting boards are also lighter and come in an array of colors, which is a preference for cooks who like to color code their boards to avoid cross contamination. However, plastic boards can dull knives more quickly than other materials and are more susceptible to staining and holding onto bacteria.
- Rubber cutting boards: Rubber is a newer material for cutting boards that has many of the same benefits as plastic but is gentler on knives. Rubber cutting boards can also have a textured surface that helps to grip foods while cutting.
- Bamboo cutting board: Bamboo is not wood but really hard grass. It’s harder and less porous than most hardwoods. The material is naturally anti microbial and won’t dull your knives. Bamboo is also a sustainable material that’s easy on the environment. It’s also a renewable source, so if you have a bamboo cutting board in your kitchen, it can serve as a handy cheese board or appetizer tray.
- Glass or Marble Cutting Board Material: Glass is non-porous, so it won’t absorb food stains or harbor bacteria. It’s also heat resistant and can go in the dishwasher. However, glass can dull your knives and is prone to shattering if dropped. Marble is also heat resistant and has a smooth surface that’s ideal for rolling out dough. However, it, too, can dull your knives and is a porous material that can absorb food stains.
You’ll also want to consider the size you’re looking for for a cutting board. If you do a lot of cooking, you may want to have multiple boards on hand in different sizes. A small board can be handy for quickly chopping up herbs or a few vegetables, while a larger one gives you more space to work with when preparing dinner.
It’s also important to choose a size depending on how big your knife is because you wouldn’t want to chop food on a board that’s too small and end up cutting yourself. Conversely, you also don’t want a board that’s so large it becomes cumbersome to use.
Multipurpose vs. Dedicated Cutting Boards
When you’re looking for the best cutting board for your kitchen, you’ll also want to decide if you want a multipurpose board or a dedicated one. A multipurpose board can be used for multiple tasks, such as chopping vegetables, slicing meat, and even serving food.
Dedicated cutting boards, on the other hand, are boards that are only used for one specific task. For example, there are meat cutting boards and vegetable cutting boards. These boards usually have features that make them better suited for their specific task, such as raised edges to keep juices from meat from spilling onto your countertop.
Which is the best option for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you do a lot of cooking, then a multipurpose board might be the way to go. However, if you only occasionally cook or entertain, then a dedicated board might be all you need.
Reversible Cutting Boards
Reversible cutting boards are just what they sound like – they can be used on either side. This is a great option if you want a little more versatility from your board but don’t necessarily need two separate boards for different tasks.
One side of the reversible board is usually designated as the meat cutting side, while the other is meant for cutting fruits, vegetables, and bread. The meat side is usually slightly rougher to help keep your knives sharp.
FAQs on the Best Cutting Board for Knives
Cleaning a plastic cutting board is quite simple. Throw it in a dishwasher, or wash it with soap and water. You can also use a vinegar solution to disinfect the board
You should replace your cutting board when it starts to show signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or nicks. If you use your cutting board frequently, it’s a good idea to replace it every few years.
There are a few different materials that make good cutting boards, including wood, plastic, and glass. However, a wood cutting board is generally the best material because it’s durable and gentle on knives.
If you’re looking for the best cutting board that will stand up all the abuses you throw at them, then that should be OXO good grips cutting board. This board has been tested, and its well construction from food grade, hard plastic composite makes solid yet lightweight.
Next, John Boos Reversible cutting board is the runner up as it’s made of wood which offers more stability, thanks to its grip edge. Other amazing features that puts it ahead of others include a juice groove that helps it to catch any oils or liquids that may run off, and the reversible board.
Lastly, for budget friendly novice, Greener Chef extra large bamboo cutting board ticks all the boxes. This board is made from knife friendly bamboo, reversible with grooves on one side. It’s also large enough for multiple ingredients and still lightweight. It’s also treated to be scratch resistant and non-porous.
If you use your cutting board frequently, it’s a good idea to replace it every few years. With a good quality cutting board, you can ensure that your knives will last many years
Why Trust Kitchen Infinity?
Our writers and reviewers thoroughly research every aspect of kitchen appliances or home improvement products so you can make a well-informed decision when investing in these products. We evaluate top quality products from several brands within budget friendly price ranges and contrast consumer reviews, surveys, satisfaction forms, brand performance, and annual appliance rankings. We go to great lengths to ensure that your next buy is worth every penny!
Kristina is an expert DIY home remodeler and mom to three. When she's not cooking or experimenting with new recipes, you can find her working on new home improvement projects or writing about her favorite kitchen appliances or DIY projects on Kitchen Infinity blog.