Are you in search of a quiet, low-vibration wine cooler? If so, a thermoelectric wine cooler could be a good option.
We have already brought you a guide to the top wine coolers and fridges for this year, but today, we are going to focus specifically on thermoelectric wine coolers.
We will start by offering you reviews of top products, and will follow that up with a guide to important features and buying considerations. After that, we will answer a few of your most frequently asked questions about thermoelectric wine coolers. Let’s begin.
Our Top Picks
- Best Single Zone 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: Koolatron WC12-35D 12 Bottle Capacity Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Best Mirrored Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: BLACK+DECKER 12-Bottle Wine Cellar, Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Mirrored Front
- Best Single Zone 20-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: Koolatron WC20 Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Best Dual Zone 24-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: Koolatron WC24 Thermoelectric Wine Cooler 24 Bottle Capacity
- Best Countertop 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Refrigerator – Freestanding Wine Cellar by Vehipa
- Best 18-Bottle Dual Zone Thermoelectric Wine Cooler: Ivation 18 Bottle Dual Zone Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
Our Top Thermoelectric Wine Cooler Picks
- 1. Best Single - Koolatron WC12-35D
- 2. Best Mirrored - BLACK+DECKER
- 3. Best Premium - Koolatron WC20
- 4. Best Storage - Koolatron WC24
- 5. Best Compact - Wine Cellar By Vehipa
Jump to Section
Reviews: The 6 Top Picks for Thermoelectric Wine Coolers in 2021
1. Koolatron WC12-35D 12 Bottle Capacity Thermoelectric Wine Cooler (Best Single Zone 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler)
Looking for a compact thermoelectric wine cooler? The Koolatron WC12-35D 12-Bottle Capacity Thermoelectric Wine Cooler may be just what you are after.
This vibration-free unit measures L 10.25” x D 19.5” x H 25.25”. The temperature range available for the single zone is 46 to 66 degrees Fahrenheit.
As a freestanding wine cooler, you can install it pretty much anywhere.
- The touch screen controls make for easy, comfortable temperature adjustments. You can also use them to turn the LED light inside on or off.
- The door is made of double-paned glass and is mirrored to help reflect UV rays. That way, they will be less likely to penetrate the wine chiller to damage your beverages.
- The shelves are made of beechwood, making for an elegant, refined appearance. They are easy to slide in and out so that you can reconfigure the space inside your wine chiller as needed.
- Sometimes these thermoelectric wine cooler units may ship out with broken buttons. If that happens, you will need to return yours for a refund or replacement. Most units do not have this problem, however.
2. BLACK+DECKER 12 Bottle Wine Cellar, Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Mirrored Front (Best Mirrored Thermoelectric Wine Cooler)
Another of our top recommendations for small wine coolers is the BLACK+DECKER 12 Bottle Wine Cellar, Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Mirrored Front.
While this overview is for the 10” x 20.4” x 24.9” unit with the 12-bottle capacity, you can also purchase this wine fridge for 6 or 8 bottles. So, it is an excellent option if you have limited space available for your thermoelectric cooling unit.
As the name indicates, this model is equipped with a mirrored glass door. But a version with a clear door also exists.
- The unit does well maintaining its temperature range of 46-66 degrees if the room's ambient temperature is not too high. You can pick Celsius or Fahrenheit for your convenience.
- The chrome wine racks are stylish and removable.
- An interior light makes it easy to find the wines you are looking for in this small wine cooler.
- The door of the wine fridge has a stunning mirrored finish that reflects its surroundings. This gives it a sleek appearance. It might also make it a suitable choice for wine enthusiasts with a small room, since the mirrored door will help make your space look larger instead of smaller.
- Some customers say that this 12-bottle wine cooler is not as quiet as they would like. It is possible in some cases, however, that the units are not level. Most buyers are happy with the low noise level from this small wine cooler. If you do not have a level surface for it, do not worry--you can adjust the legs individually to get it to sit level even if your floor is angled.
3. Koolatron WC20 Thermoelectric Wine Cooler (Best Single-Zone 20-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler)
If you are looking for somewhat larger thermoelectric wine fridges, a Koolatron wine cooler with a 20-bottle capacity like this one might be ideal for your requirements.
The dimensions for this unit are 16 inches wide, 21 deep and 21 high. The unit is all-black with a mirrored black door. Wine lovers will appreciate its stylish appearance.
- This wine chiller features a freestanding design. You can set it anywhere you have the space for it.
- The door of the appliance blocks UV light from reaching your wines.
- You can remove the wire racks from this 20-bottle thermoelectric wine cooler if you want to configure the space inside differently. Doing so may allow you to store larger bottles than you could otherwise.
- The digital temperature control lets you use Celsius or Fahrenheit as is convenient for you.
- You can see inside the wine fridge easily with the help of the interior LED lighting.
- While most wine cooler reviews for this unit state that it runs very quietly, there are a few complaints about buzzing. Again, it is important to make sure that thermoelectric units are placed level to prevent unwanted noise. In some cases, this may be sufficient to resolve this problem.
4. Koolatron WC24 Thermoelectric Wine Cooler 24 Bottle Capacity
As you have probably noticed, the majority of wine coolers that feature thermoelectric cooling technology include just one zone for wine bottles. But one product that features a pair of temperature zones is this one.
As a 24-bottle dual zone thermoelectric cooler, it is ideal for keeping a variety of beverages at the desired temperature.
The exterior measurements for the 24-bottle dual zone wine chiller are 20.75 inches x 17.75 inches x 29.5 inches, while the interior offers you 11.25 inches x 12 inches x 29 inches of space for your wines. Thermoelectric wine coolers don’t get much roomier than that.
Rather than a side-by-side configuration, this appliance features an upper zone and a lower zone.
- For dual zone cooling with storage space for plenty of wine bottles, it is hard to beat this product. You can store 12 bottles in the upper zone and 12 in the lower zone.
- As the temperature range for the upper zone is 54-66 degrees Fahrenheit, and the temperature range for the lower zone is 46-55 degrees Fahrenheit, you can store both your reds and whites at ideal temperatures.
- The door of this 24-bottle dual zone thermoelectric cooler features mirrored glass, keeping UV rays from harming your wines.
- Since this product is freestanding, you can put it anywhere you can fit it in your home.
- The legs are adjustable so that you can get a level setting, ensuring that the product operates with minimal vibrations and noise.
- Six removable wire racks give you plenty of flexibility with respect to how you store your wines.
- The LED light inside helps you see your wines while enhancing ambiance.
- There are some complaints about a lack of even temperature distribution. But most customers say that the temperature control works well, and that the cooling system maintains the desired temperature range effectively.
5. 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Refrigerator - Freestanding Wine Cellar by Vehipa (Best Countertop 12-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler)
If you are looking specifically for the best thermoelectric wine cooler for your countertop, we would suggest the 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Refrigerator – Freestanding Wine Cellar by Vehipa.
Whereas many thermoelectric wine coolers have a vertical configuration, this one has a more horizontal profile, measuring 15.7” x 19.9 ” x 14.6″. This shape makes it more suitable for placement on your countertop than some other models, which work better underneath a counter.
Being as it is a freestanding model, however, you can place this product pretty much anywhere you want. It does not have to go on your countertop.
As its name indicates, this thermoelectric wine cooler can accommodate up to 12 bottles of wine at a time. It has a single zone.
- The horizontal profile of the wine cooler means it can not only fit well on a countertop, but also on a table or shelf. It is a great off-the-floor model. Of course, you can put it on the floor too if you prefer.
- You can choose Celsius or Fahrenheit for setting the temperature range (which is 52 to 64 degrees Fahrenheit). The touch controls make the product simple to operate.
- The frame of the 12-bottle thermoelectric wine cooler is made of sturdy, beautiful stainless steel, while the door is double tempered glass. It is a stylish addition to any room, and should be a long-lasting one as well with proper care.
- Cool blue LED lighting enhances functionality and ambiance.
- If you are looking for the best thermoelectric wine cooler customer service team, this product's manufacturer provides fast, friendly support.
- Sometimes, this 12-bottle thermoelectric wine cooler may arrive with damage. This does not happen often, however, and the company is very good about sending a replacement. Be sure to contact them immediately if you do receive a damaged wine cooler.
6. Ivation 18 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler (Best 18-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler)
For whatever reason, there are not a whole lot of 18-bottle thermoelectric wine coolers on the market. But one model that we have found that is worth thinking about is this one from Ivation.
The wine cooler measures 13.5″ x 20″ x 25.4″, and like most thermoelectric wine coolers, it has a vertical configuration. While it is a freestanding model, it would also probably work well underneath a counter, so long as it has room to vent.
As a dual zone wine cooler, it features an upper and lower zone. The temperature range for the upper zone is 46 degrees Fahrenheit to 64 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature range for the lower zone is 54 degrees Fahrenheit to 64 degrees Fahrenheit. So, you can enjoy both reds and whites at the ideal temperature range.
- To help this dual zone wine cooler operate efficiently, the manufacturer made it with solid, CFC-free polyurethane heavy foam insulation. Additionally, the Thermopane doors are smoked and tempered, keeping UV light away from your wines. The result is an interior that features a steady temperature and humidity level.
- The smoked appearance of the double pane door not only offers functional benefits as mentioned above, but also is aesthetically pleasing. You can see your wines through the door, but since the glass is not fully transparent, it offers a cleaner look with less visual clutter. You can switch on the LED in this dual zone wine cooler to more easily see inside.
- The chrome shelves are also nice to look at, and slide out easily for reconfiguration of your space.
- This unit contains two fans, but even their combined noise is not that loud.
- A few customers say that the noise level of this 18-bottle dual zone wine cooler increases over time. But most say that it continues to operate quietly over the long term.
Is a Thermoelectric Wine Cooler Right for You?
Before you start shopping for thermoelectric wine coolers, it is important to make sure that this is the best type of wine cooler for your needs. Along with thermoelectric wine coolers, there are also compressor wine coolers on the market. Each type of technology has its advantages and disadvantages.
What is a Thermoelectric Wine Cooler?
A thermoelectric wine cooler is simply one that uses a thermoelectric system for cooling. This system consists of two metal components , each made of a different material.
To create its cooling effect, the system absorbs heat from one side, and then passes it through to the other. A heat sink on that side disperses it.
You can contrast this with a traditional compressor wine cooler. Traditional compressor wine coolers feature systems with condensers, expansion valves and evaporators, and work much like a regular refrigerator.
Thermolectric Wine Cooler Pros
- Thermoelectric cooling technology is incredibly quiet, and produces virtually no vibrations.
- Not only is a quiet system more pleasant to be around than a noisy wine cooler, but the lack of vibrations is better for preserving the wines.
- Compressor systems feature more moving parts than thermoelectric systems. This makes mechanical failure less likely with thermoelectric technology.
- Unlike compressors, thermoelectric systems do not produce emissions. For this reason, thermoelectric wine coolers are more eco-friendly.
Thermoelectric Wine Cooler Cons
- If you want a high capacity wine cooler, you are more likely to find what you are looking for with a compressor system. The majority of thermoelectric wine coolers are smaller in size.
- Most thermoelectric wine coolers are not as energy-efficient as compressor models.
- A compressor is able to lower the temperature inside a wine cooler relative to the ambient temperature of a room more dramatically than a thermoelectric system can.
Now you know the difference your wine cooler’s internal mechanism can make. Compressor coolers may be more appropriate for warmer climates. But a thermoelectric system beats a compressor cooling system for eco-friendly, quiet, vibration-free operation.
Features and Considerations When Choosing a Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
1. Built-In vs. Freestanding
One thing to think about when choosing a thermoelectric wine cooler is whether it features a design that is freestanding or “built-in.”
A “built-in” model is also known as an “under-counter” model, as it is designed to be installed in your kitchen cabinets.
But it is useful to know that thermoelectric wine cooler units may have also feature designs that are interchangeable. Depending on the decisions you make about placement and installation, they may work as freestanding units or as under-counter units.
2. Single Zone vs. Dual Zone
You may find thermoelectric wine refrigerators that feature a single zone or two zones.
Red and white wines both are preserved best if you store them between 53 and 57 degrees Fahrenheit. So, it is possible to keep reds and whites in a single zone thermoelectric cooler without any issues.
But chilling red wine and white wine bottles to the optimal serving temperatures does require different temperature ranges. Red wines are most enjoyable at 58-65 degrees Fahrenheit. White wines, on the other hand, are most enjoyable at 45-52 degrees Fahrenheit.
There are also dual zone wine coolers with a different temperature distribution. One side is intended for storing wines, while the other features a temperature range ideal for beers, sodas, and other beverages.
So, think about the different types of beverages you want to store as well as the temperatures you want to serve your drinks at in deciding whether you want a dual zone wine cooler.
Also, if you are shopping for a dual zone thermoelectric wine cooler, be aware that different models feature different placements for the zones. They may be side-by-side or above and below. Sometimes, the zones are the same size. But other times, a dual zone wine cooler features more space on one side and less on the other.
3. Dimensions and Capacity
How many wine bottles do you want to store? Check the capacity for the temperature zones of the product you are considering. Also note the presence or absence of shelves or racks, and whether you can move them around as needed to accommodate different sizes and shapes of bottles.
Along with capacity, make sure that the overall dimensions of the wine refrigerator you are considering will fit within the space where you intend to put it.
4. Vent Location
Thermoelectric wine coolers may vent to the back or front depending on their design. If you plan to install your unit underneath the counter, it is important that it vent to the front, unless you have some sort of configuration that will not trap air venting to the back.
5. Cooling Capability
Remember, one of the biggest drawbacks of a thermoelectric cooling system is that it cannot cool down your wine fridge to the same degree as a compressor system.
So, when you are shopping for wine coolers, check to see if there is an optimal room temperature range recommended for the unit you are considering buying. If the temperature in your room exceeds the optimal temperature range the manufacturer recommends, the thermoelectric cooling system may not be able to cool down the interior of the fridge to the temperature you want.
6. Additional Features
An excellent thermoelectric wine cooler will usually include some other features to improve quality and convenience.
Examples include internal LED lights, child safety locks, adjustable feet, and wooden, reconfigurable shelves.
Frequently Asked Questions about Thermoelectric Wine Coolers
Are thermoelectric wine coolers any good?
Yes, thermoelectric coolers can be very good, if the ambient temperature of the room in which they operate is not too high. From an environmental standpoint, they are a great choice. Plus, you will love their quiet, vibration-free operation.
Which brand of wine cooler is the best?
While there are multiple brands of wine coolers out there worth considering, we have found the Koolatron brand consistently comes up when searching for the best thermoelectric wine coolers.
Not only does this company manufacture high quality, energy-efficient wine fridges, but their support team receives praise from customers as well.
Which is better, a compressor or thermoelectric wine cooler?
A: That depends entirely on what you are looking for. If you have a hard time maintaining a comfortable temperature in your room, we definitely suggest compressor coolers over thermoelectric coolers. But if you do not have this difficulty, we recommend thermoelectric coolers since they run quietly and do not produce unwanted vibrations.
Are there any thermoelectric dual zone wine coolers?
Yes. Most of the thermoelectric wine coolers we have looked at feature a single zone. But there are some thermoelectric wine coolers out there that feature a dual zone design.
Most of these seem to feature a zone dedicated to reds and another dedicated to whites, rather than a zone for wines and another for beers and other assorted beverages.
How many bottles can fit in thermoelectric wine coolers?
Thermoelectric wine coolers tend to be on the smaller size. Most units are compact, allowing you to store up to 12 bottles, sometimes fewer.
We have on occasion seen thermoelectric wine coolers that let you store more bottles however. Some units have room for up to 20 or 24 wine bottles.
Higher capacity wine coolers are almost always compressor units, not thermoelectric wine coolers.
How do I fix a thermoelectric wine cooler?
Even the best thermoelectric wine coolers can sometimes have problems. You might find that your wine cooler is not effectively maintaining the appropriate temperature range. Or you might discover that the door is not closing properly, or that the unit is excessively noisy.
How can you fix these problems? As a wine enthusiast, you may or may not also be handy with repair work, but thankfully, a lot of problems with thermoelectric cooling can be resolved at home on your own. Continue through the FAQs below for tips on fixing specific problems.
Why is my thermoelectric wine cooler's door not closing?
Whether you have a tempered mirror glass door, reinforced glass door, or another type of door, you may sometimes find that closing the door is difficult.
It could be that the gasket is dirty, so cleaning it may help. Sometimes, it might also be that one of your shelves is in the way. Try removing them and putting them back. If the surface your appliance is resting on is not even, that can do it too.
Why is my thermoelectric cooling not working efficiently?
First of all, did you just plug in your wine chiller? It can take hours before it can cool down the interior to the temperature you want. Sometimes it may take up to a day, so be patient.
The next consideration is ventilation. Without adequate clearance, even the best wine cooler will struggle to cool down. That hot air has to go somewhere.
Another issue is your room’s ambient temperature. Thermoelectric wine coolers are not designed for hot settings. If your room is too warm, do not expect perfect performance.
Why is my thermoelectric wine cooler noisy?
The whole point with the best thermoelectric wine coolers is that they are meant to operate quietly without a lot of vibrations. But sometimes, this type of cooler may operate loudly.
The most common reason why this might happen is because the surface on which the thermoelectric cooling appliance is situated is not level.
Try and move the cooler to a more level surface, and/or adjust the legs if your product includes that feature.
What do I do if I still cannot fix my thermoelectric wine chiller on my own?
While you can troubleshoot a lot of issues that affect thermoelectric wine coolers yourself successfully, there are going to be situations where you need extra help.
At that point, you need to contact customer support at the manufacturer. Hopefully they can give you some suggestions, and/or send you a replacement unit or replacement parts under warranty.
Indeed, this is why it is important to pay attention to warranties when you are browsing thermoelectric wine coolers. It is also a good reason to note the reviews customers leave for the support teams for wine coolers.
Who makes the best under-counter wine cooler?
Kitchen Infinity created a full guide to the best under-counter wine coolers. Check it out to see our detailed recommendations in this category.
Who makes the best built-in wine cooler?
Kitchen Infinity has created an in-depth guide to the best built-in wine coolers as well.
Keep Your Wine Chilled in a Quiet, Eco-Friendly Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
We have introduced you to some of the top models of thermoelectric wine coolers on the market today.
Along the way, you have had the opportunity to discover important features and considerations when you are deciding on a wine fridge to buy.
Ready to get the quality wine chiller you need to enjoy your wine collection at its best? Click any of the links in this article to get your ideal thermoelectric wine fridge and best wine fridge 2022 now.
Why Trust Kitchen Infinity?
Our writers and reviewers thoroughly research every aspect of kitchen appliances or home improvement products so you can make a well-informed decision when investing in these products. We evaluate top quality products from several brands within budget friendly price ranges and contrast consumer reviews, surveys, satisfaction forms, brand performance, and annual appliance rankings. We go to great lengths to ensure that your next buy is worth every penny!
Dino is a lifelong writer and home improvement specialist. He enjoys bringing cutting-edge information on home renovation and remodeling to Kitchen Infinity.