Carpets are one of the most neglected areas in our homes. We all know that they need to be cleaned, but we just don’t have the time or motivation to do it.
The problem with carpet deep cleaning is not only that you need professional equipment and expertise, but also a lot of effort and several hours on your part. You will spend hours vacuuming your carpet, scrubbing it with soap and water solution while hoping for the best result. Well, that’s the way that’s best known to most people.
But today, we’re here to prove you otherwise. Our guide helps you achieve this perfect clean without any of the above hassles. It explains how to deep clean carpet stains step by step so you won’t miss anything important. Moreover, there’s a bonus section that gives tips on how to remove tough stains like pet accidents from carpets. Let’s get started.
Steam Cleaning to Deep Clean Carpet
A steam cleaner is known to be the surefire deep cleaning process for a carpet. This professional deep cleaning equipment produces powerful steam that readily removes dirt and grime from carpets without damaging them.
Use a good steam cleaner to get your carpet clean with the extra cleaning power. But you must follow several simple steps before beginning your steam cleaning to get the best result.
- First, vacuum the carpet to remove loose dust and debris.
- Remove all furniture and accessories from the room, so nothing gets in the way of the steam cleaner.
- Make sure you are working in a well-ventilated area because the steam produced by steam cleaners may contain chemical fumes that can irritate your nose or cause other health problems.
- Once that is done, attach the accessories onto the cleaner depending on its model – wand attachments for high traffic areas, brush attachments for cleaning furniture, stairs, and other places.
- If your steam carpet cleaner comes with a hose attachment that you can either lay on the floor or attach to an upright vacuum, use it to clean most of the ground in your carpet. This will allow you to basically “groom” your carpet before going over the entire surface.
- Sprinkle baking soda and vinegar generously on the carpet and start the steaming process. This will allow you to remove stain from your carpet’s surface and kill odor-causing bacteria.
- Using a scrubbing brush attachment, scrub stains away thoroughly.
- Blot the surface with a clean cloth to remove any remaining moisture.
- Allow the carpet to dry and thoroughly vacuum any remaining loose dust away.
Use Distilled White Vinegar to Deep Clean Carpet
Vinegar has gained itself a permanent position in households thanks to its many uses including upholstery cleaning. In this case, we’re going to use vinegar to deep clean carpet, and this is how it works:
- Always start by vacuuming to remove loose dust and treat visible carpet stains
- Mix 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake well to mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the cleaning solution on your carpet, making sure that you cover all areas, including corners and edges.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes or until dry. This allows time for the vinegar and water solution to loosen debris from your carpet fibers so that they can be thoroughly vacuumed.
- Blot the solution of the carpet using a microfiber cloth or paper towel to make sure that all visible stains are removed. This also helps remove any excess vinegar.
- Vacuum slowly again with your vacuum cleaner to lift out dirt and liquid from the fibers of your carpet. Remember, vinegar is a natural disinfectant, so it will help keep bacteria, germs, and mildew at bay.
- Open the doors to increase airflow in the room and allow the carpet to dry completely
Clean with Baking Soda and Table Salt
We’ll know that baking soda works well for various home cleaning jobs. But who would have thought that salt can also work to deep clean your carpet? Well, not you know. Here’s how to deep clean your carpet with baking soda and table or kosher salt.
- As usual, start with vacuuming to remove any loose soil and then treat the visible carpet stains.
- First, sprinkle coarse salt and baking soda mixture over the wet carpet (don’t forget to wear your gloves).
- Let it stay for 5-10 minutes.
- Starting from one end of the room, use a scrub brush with warm water and start scrubbing the mixture into your carpet. Work slowly towards the other end of the room.
- When you get to a stain, scrub it as best as possible and then rinse everything with clean water.
- Vacuum the carpet again. If your carpet is very dirty, repeat the process a few times until you remove the stains.
- Afterward, dry it using your vacuum cleaner’s steam setting or hanging out in direct sunlight for a while.
Use Club Soda to Deep Clean a Carpet
Club soda is one of the best cleansers you can get for your carpet. Not only does it have a high pH level, but it also has extremely tiny bubbles that penetrate deep into the carpet to remove even deeply-seated stains. It especially works best from blood and wine stains.
- Pour the soda into an empty spray bottle.
- Spray the entire carpet section where the stain is located.
- Let the carpet cleaning solutions sit for a couple of minutes to work
- Blot it out using kitchen paper towels.
- Repeat this process as many times as necessary until you get rid of the stain completely.
Remember that the soda is not a replacement for your regular carpet cleaning machine because it just doesn’t have enough chemicals to eliminate the odor completely. If you're wondering how to disinfect your carpet with this method, you can consider blending it with baking soda and vinegar.
Tips to Keep Your Carpet Clean for Long
- Trap soil and debris at the door. Put a rug at the entrance of your home so that soil won’t reach the carpet. Use doormats and clean them regularly to reduce tracked dirt from entering your house.
- Remove shoes at the door to avoid bringing any stain and debris inside the house
- Using a carpet vacuum cleaner will help you get rid of stubborn mud or soil on top layers of the carpet to prevent it from setting in.
- Keep your carpets completely dry to prevent them from getting stained. Carpets can easily absorb moisture, and stains will be irreversible if you don’t act on time.
- Avoid placing too many items on your carpet. This will prevent your carpets from looking worn out and torn apart due to constant usage.
- Clean spills immediately before they set in and become harder to clean
- Read the care instructions of your carpet before cleaning it with heavy-duty chemicals. Some chemicals can be harmful to the rug and its color.
Final Thoughts on How to Deep Clean a Carpet
You don’t need any complicated deep cleaning method to clean your carpet. With these simple yet effective methods, you can easily clean any stain you find on your carpet without harming it in any way. Choose a method that works for you and won’t harm your carpet fibers while you’re cleaning.
Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and get the best results possible. If you have tried all the home remedies and nothing seems to work, don’t worry because you can still get a professional to help. You can also consider renting a carpet cleaning machine and get even much better results.
And once you get that sparkling clean carpet, make sure you practice the above tips to keep your rug clean for longer. Enjoy your carpet!