Jump to Section
A home appliance is a piece of equipment that serves a domestic purpose. An appliance may also be referred to as a household appliance, electrical appliance, or gas appliance.
The main purpose of a home appliance is to conduct a task, such as cooking food, washing clothes, grinding ingredients, or brewing coffees. Home appliances may be found everywhere in the home including the kitchen, laundry room, and basement.
The average cost of a home appliance varies, depending on the appliance. A refrigerator can range in price between $430 – $11,000. A freezer can vary in price between $100 – $2,000. A range stovetop can range in price between $400 – $8,000. A dishwasher ranges in price between $350 – $2,000. A washing machine ranges in price between $400 – $2,500. A dryer ranges in price between $400 – $2,500.
The price of home appliances ranges based on the type of appliance, quality, materials, and brand name. Other factors may also influence price, including size or efficiency.
The biggest and most popular home appliance brands today include:
- Hamilton Beach
The most common material for home appliances today is stainless steel. Stainless steel is modern and durable, often lasting for many years. Other appliance materials may include plastic or metal.
The market size of appliances is significant, valued at over $420 billion each year. Home appliances are a necessity and the industry includes small and large household appliances.
What are the Types of Home Appliances?
There are many different types of home appliances including small, large, major, and minor appliances. Each type of appliance determines its use case, with small appliances most commonly used for small cooking tasks, and larger appliances used most often for cooking or baking foods.
Smaller appliances are cheaper than when compared to large appliances but need to be replaced more frequently. Small appliances are more likely to be made out of cheaper materials, like plastic. Major appliances are built-in home appliances that are replaced infrequently. They are more expensive, heavier, and often crucial to daily life.
Consumer electronics are household items that are intended for single, daily use, like computers or headphones. Consumer electronics are much smaller than large or major appliances and wear out faster.
Small appliances are household appliances that are intended for single use. A small appliance is affordable, portable, and is easily replaceable. A few examples of small appliances include:
- Bread machine
- Coffee grinder
- Coffee maker
- Electric kettle
- Espresso machine
- Tea kettle
- Toaster oven
- Slow cooker
The main purpose of small appliances is to accomplish a household task, including brewing coffee or blending together ingredients for a smoothie. Popular small appliance brands include All-Clad, Capresso, Chef’s Choice, Hamilton Beach, Breville, Vitamix, Cuisinart, Nespresso, and KitchenAid. Small appliances are extremely popular because of their affordability. Some small appliances are more popular than others, with blenders and food processors being the most purchased small appliances. Small kitchen appliances are small in size, meaning they fit into most kitchen spaces.
The average cost of small appliances is between $20 – $200. Small appliances last, on average, five years. The material and upkeep of the small appliances affect their durability. Most people don’t purchase insurance for small appliances because they’re relatively cheap to replace, but many manufacturers may offer a warranty. Small appliances use little energy because of their smaller size. Small appliances have been around for many years, with reports of them being sold as early as the early-1900s. The clothes iron by Earl Richardson was one of the first small appliances, invented in 1903.
Large appliances are non-portable machines used for domestic tasks. A large appliance is more expensive than small appliances, not easily moved, and infrequently replaced. A few examples of large appliances include:
- Washing machine
- Drying machine
- Trash compactor
- Air conditioner
- Microwave oven
The main purpose of large appliances is to accomplish a household task, like storing foods or washing clothing. Popular large appliance brands include GE, Hobart, Maytag, and Whirlpool. Large appliances are a requirement in many households, leading to most households in the world having them. Built-in appliances may be included when someone buys or sells a house, or may be purchased separately. Replacing a large appliance can be expensive and choosing one that fits your household space is necessary.
The average cost of a large appliance is between $300 – $8,000, depending on the type of appliance. Refrigerators and freezers cost more than dishwashers and microwave ovens. The material and size of the large appliance also affect the price. Stainless steel large appliances cost more than large plastic appliances. Insurance can help cover the cost of repairs on large appliances, which can be expensive. Large appliances use more energy than small appliances, but energy-efficiency appliances are also available to purchase. The history of large appliances can be traced back to the 1800s when Joel Houghton designed the first dishwasher.
Major appliances also referred to as large domestic appliances, are appliances that are found in most households. Major appliances may include:
Major appliances aren’t portable. They are built-in and can be expensive to replace. The average cost of a major appliance is between $400 – $10,000. The material and brand of major appliances determine their cost. Major appliances use a significant amount of energy, but energy-efficient appliances are available today in most major appliances. The history of major appliances dates back to the early-mid 1800s when the first refrigerator was made in 1834 by Jacob Parkins. This design didn’t succeed, but it paved the way for future designs.
Minor appliances are small, household machines used to complete a task. Minor appliances may include:
Minor appliances are portable and can be stored in a cupboard or on a shelf. Minor appliances are easy and affordable to replace, with an average cost of between $20 – $200. Purchasing insurance isn’t usually necessary for minor appliances, since they’re affordable to replace. The material and type of appliance dictate its price and longevity. Stainless steel air fryers cost more than plastic blenders but are more likely to last longer. Minor appliances use very little energy. The history of minor appliances dates back to the 1800s when inventors begin inventing appliances like kettles and sewing machines to help residential consumers complete household tasks.
Consumer electronics are home electronics intended for individual use. Consumer electronics are also referred to as brown goods, which is a light electronic device that comes in brownish, wooden cases.
A consumer electronic may include:
- DVD players
The primary use of consumer electronics is for entertainment or functionality. Someone may use a TV to entertain themselves or a computer to work. Popular consumer electronic brands include Samsung, Apple, Fitbit, or Dell. Consumer electronics are found in most households, all over the world. People often replace consumer electronics frequently because they’re inexpensive and technology is constantly updating.
The average cost of consumer electronics is $1,200. The cost of consumer electronics varies, depending on the product and brand. A large-screen TV costs more than a portable DVD player but is also likely to last longer. Some consumer electronics use more energy, like TVs, but TVs are available in an energy-efficient design. The history of consumer electronics dates back to the early-1900s, with the invention of the radio. Since then, consumer electronics have become popular worldwide.
Smart appliances are household appliances that use technology to connect users and provide a wide range of assistive features. A few types of smart appliances may include:
- Security camera
- Coffee maker
Most household appliances today are available in a smart appliance design. Smart appliances have built-in features that allow them to be remotely controlled. A refrigerator can share recipes using your available ingredients. An oven can alert you when it has finished preheating or the cleaning cycle. Popular smart appliance brands include Sharp, Anova, GE Profile, and Samsung.
Smart appliances are more popular today than ever before as we shift to a digital world and people rely on technology. The average cost of a smart appliance is between $50 – $10,000. The cost of smart appliances varies, depending on the appliance. A smart refrigerator costs more than a smart TV. Smart appliances last a long time but may require frequent repairs to repair the technological components. Consumers may also need to update technologies via software updates for smart appliances.
Energy-efficient appliances are appliances that use less energy. They have a design that optimizes energy use. A few types of energy-efficient appliances may include:
The main purpose of an energy-efficient appliance is to achieve the desired purpose of the appliance, while also conserving energy. Energy-efficient appliances are becoming even more popular today as the world focuses more on energy conservation. Energy-efficient appliances can come in all different materials, but stainless steel is one of the most common.
The average cost of an energy-efficient appliance is between $50 – $8,000. While energy-efficient appliances cost more than other types of appliances, they can also save you money. The first energy-efficient appliance was the ECHO IV in 1966, which was a kitchen computer. The product was never commercially sold but paved the way for the future of energy-efficient appliances.
What are the Purposes of Home Appliances?
The use of home appliances is to complete a household task. Here are a few purposes of home appliances:
- Wash clothes
- Dry clothes
- Refrigerate foods
- Brew coffee
- Blend ingredients
- Chop ingredients
- Wash dishes
- Heat foods
- Bake foods
- Fry ingredients
Home appliances serve many purposes, depending on the type of appliance. Home appliances are available in small or large types and minor or major. A home appliance can also be purchased as a smart device or in an energy-efficient design. Household appliances also come in all different materials.
A home appliance can also be categorized by its subtype. Common home appliance categories include kitchen appliances, laundry machines, cleaning appliances, and entertainment goods.
Can a home appliance be used with networking?
Yes, a home appliance can be used with networking. Home automation refers to the process of connecting home appliances to a computer or network. This makes the appliances a part of the network of things and may include TVs, air conditioners, ovens, or refrigerators. Adding home appliances to the home’s network provides the user with remote control capabilities.
What is the history of home appliances?
The use of appliances can be traced back many years, but the first gas or electric-powered appliance wasn’t invented until the 20th-century. The first home appliances invented were the refrigerator and kettle. Following World War II, the economy expanded and more people went back to work. In an attempt to improve productivity and minimize the time it took to complete household duties, many of these appliances were sold to residential consumers
The increase in income during this time period also made home appliances more affordable to most consumers. Home appliances picked up in popularity in the 1980s, and nearly every household owned the major home appliances, including refrigerators, stoves, ovens, and microwave ovens. Concerns of energy use arose in the 1980s with the increase of use, and the government stepped in to put requirements on the top manufacturers, requiring them to reduce energy consumption year over year.
What are the life spans of home appliances?
The life span of home appliances is, on average, 10 years. How long an appliance lasts depends on the specific appliance:
- Refrigerator: Refrigerators last an average of 13 years. The material and upkeep of the refrigerator affect longevity. Stainless steel refrigerators last longer than plastic refrigerators. Keeping the refrigerator cleaned and setting the appropriate temperature also affects its longevity.
- Oven: Ovens last an average of 13 years. Gas ovens last longer than electric ovens. Keeping up with important maintenance tasks, like cleaning, can also help an oven last longer.
- Dishwasher: Dishwashers last an average of 10 years. Stainless steel dishwashers last longer than plastic dishwashers.
- Garbage disposal: Garbage disposals last an average of 10 – 12 years. Frequent cleaning and completely emptying a garbage disposal between uses can extend its life.
- Freezer: Freezers last an average of 12 years. Keeping the freezer’s coils and door hinges clean can help to extend its life.
- Microwave: Microwaves last an average of 7 – 8 years. Using the appropriate microwave settings and keeping it clean can help a microwave last longer.
- Oven range: Oven ranges last an average of 16 years. Higher-quality oven ranges, like stainless steel ones, last longer than cheaper ovens.
- Coffee maker: A coffee maker lasts, on average, 5 years. Routine cleaning and upkeep can help extend the life of a coffee maker.
The initial quality of a home appliance affects its lifespan. A stainless steel refrigerator or dishwasher lasts longer than plastic or metal ones. The higher cost of the home appliance, the longer it typically lasts. A coffee maker is more affordable than a refrigerator or oven because they are easier to replace. Replacing larger appliances, like a refrigerator or oven is often much more expensive.
What are the factors of lifespan for home appliances?
Many factors affect the lifespan of home appliances including:
- Maintenance: Frequent maintenance and upkeep can help household appliances last longer. Preventative, routine maintenance may be more important to certain appliances, like refrigerators and ovens. Home appliances like dishwashers are easier, and cheaper, to repair.
- Frequency of use: How frequently you use a home appliance can also affect how long it lasts. Some home appliances are designed for frequent use, like a refrigerator. Other appliances, like dishwashers or garbage disposals, may wear out over time with frequent use.
- Material: Certain materials last longer than others with home appliances. Stainless steel tends to be the most durable and long-lasting material for home appliances.
- Initial quality: The initial quality of a home appliance affects how long you can expect it to last. A higher-quality home appliance is likely to last longer than a cheap one.
Even though it may be possible to repair a small appliance, it may be more cost-effective to replace it. The cost of the appliance is important to consider too, as replacing a small appliance is easier, so it may be acceptable to choose a cheaper item.
Is there insurance for home appliances?
Yes, many insurance companies offer insurance for home appliances. A few popular insurance providers for home appliances include:
- Choice Home Warranty: Choice Home Warranty offers home appliance insurance at a monthly average rate of $55 per month. They charge an $85 service fee to policyholders with a response time of at least 48 hours. Choice Home Warranty offers both basic and total coverage of appliances and has less traditional coverage, including insurance for home spas.
- Select Home Warranty: Select Home Warranty offers home appliance insurance at an average rate of $54 per month. Service fees for Select Home Warranty range between $60 – $75 per visit, and they offer a same-day response. This company offers different levels of appliance coverage, including insurance for appliances and home systems.
- Liberty Home Guard: Liberty Home Guard offers insurance at an average monthly rate of $60. Service fees with Liberty Home Guard average $125 per visit, and they respond within 48 hours. This company offers three types of insurance plans, allowing you to get the appliance coverage you want.
- Landmark Home Warranty: Landmark Home Warranty offers insurance at an average of $55 per month. They charge an average service fee between $70 – $100, depending on your plan. They have a 30-day warranty on all repairs.
A home appliance insurance policy is referred to as a home warranty. A home warranty covers repairs and replacement of major appliances, like refrigerators and ovens. A home warranty is in addition to a home insurance policy, as home insurance only covers damage and replacement of your home.
The average cost of a home warranty is between $600 – $800 per year. This premium can cover the single cost of one appliance breaking, making home insurance worth it.
How to repair home appliances?
The maintenance cost of home appliances varies, depending on the appliance and what part needs to be repaired. You have a few options available when it comes to repairing home appliances. Some appliances, you may be able to repair yourself. Others may require the services of a professional.
Smaller appliances may be easier to repair, but the parts may cost more than replacing the appliance itself. Replacing parts on larger appliances may be a more cost-effective approach.
The average cost of repairs also varies, depending on whether you do it yourself or hire a professional. Electrical problems are common with household appliances since many of them require a connection to the electrical system. Major appliances have more parts and a more in-depth design, making them more difficult to repair. If you make a mistake repairing a larger appliance, it can also be more dangerous.
A refrigerator is moderately difficult to repair, costing an average of $100 – $450. A dishwasher is, on average $160 – $300 to repair. A microwave ranges between $50 – $400 to repair. A freezer repair ranges between $200 – 350. The average cost of repairs for home appliances is $172. Many factors can make repair costs lower or higher, including the type of appliance and your location. Repair rates in busier, and more populated cities in the U.S. may cost more, as more people are likely to require repairs. In more rural locations, repairs may be cheaper.
What is the energy consumption of home appliances?
Energy consumption of home appliances is measured using wattage. Wattage refers to a measurement of electrical power. The size and design of the appliance affect its energy consumption. Here are some of the most common home appliances and an average of how much energy they consume:
- Oven: An oven uses an average of 2.3 kWh, or $0.30 per hour. This calculates to (€) $0.26.
- Microwave oven: A microwave oven uses 0.12 kWh per 5 minutes of use, or $0.02 per 5-minute use, or (€) $0.017.
- Coffee maker: A coffee maker uses 0.12 kWh per brew, which calculates to $0.02 per brew, or (€) $0.017.
- Dishwasher: A dishwasher uses an average of 1 – 2.17 kWh per load, or $0.13 – $0.28 per load, or (€) $0.11 – $0.24.
- Toaster oven: A toaster oven uses an average of 0.75 kWh per hour, or $0.10 per hour, or (€) $0.086.
- Refrigerator: A refrigerator uses between 90 – 750 kWh per month. This calculates to an average cost between $11 – $19 per month, or (€) $9.49 – $16.40.
- Freezer: A freezer uses approximately 90 kWh, or $11.70 per month, or (€) $10.10 per month.
- Wine cooler: A wine cooler uses approximately 90 kWh per month, or $9 per month, or (€) $7.70.
Energy star appliances can use even less wattage. An energy star refrigerator uses between 34.5 – 60 kWh per month, or $4 – $8 per month, or (€) $3.45 – $6.90.
How to decrease the energy consumption of home appliances?
There are a few methods you can use to decrease the energy consumption of your home appliances, including:
- Adjust how you use the appliance: Adjusting your behaviors when using a home appliance can help you reduce its energy use. For example, opening and closing a refrigerator can make it less efficient. Instead, open the refrigerator, remove all of your ingredients, and avoid opening it again until you put them back.
- Use high-efficiency lights: Replacing the bulbs with energy-efficient ones in your home appliances can help you increase their efficiency.
- Buy energy-efficient appliances: Buying energy-efficient appliances in the first place is the best way to reduce energy use, and maximize efficiency.
- Complete maintenance: Completing certain maintenance tasks, like cleaning the coils and inspecting door seals frequently, can help maximize efficiency.
What is the average cost for home appliances?
Home appliances range in cost, depending on the specific appliance. Here are some of the most common costs of popular appliances:
- Refrigerator: A refrigerator costs between $430 – $11,000. A small refrigerator with no freezer is on the low end of the range, and a smart refrigerator with a lot of capacity is at the high end of the range.
- Freezer: A freezer costs between $100 – $2,000. The price of a freezer may range based on the size of the freezer.
- Dishwasher: A dishwasher costs between $350 – $2,000. The price of a dishwasher ranges based on the size, and whether it’s a built-in or countertop dishwasher.
- Microwave oven: A microwave oven costs between $100 – $300. The size and features of the microwave oven affect the price, with larger, smart microwaves costing more than a basic microwave.
- Toaster oven: A toaster oven costs between $25 – $1,000. The price of a toaster oven ranges based on the material and size, with stainless steel toaster ovens costing more than plastic toaster ovens.
- Coffee maker: A coffee maker costs between $50 – $800. A cheaper coffee maker is made with plastic materials and can only brew a single cup of coffee at a time. More expensive coffee makers are made with stainless steel materials and can brew multiple cups of coffee at once.
- Wine cooler: A wine cooler costs between $50 – $8,000. The cost of wine coolers ranges based on capacity and features with large, commercial-sized wine coolers costing more than a residential wine cooler.
- Oven: An oven costs between $400 – $8,000. The cost of an oven varies, depending on whether it includes a range hood, and its size and features. The type of oven also makes a difference in price, with baking ovens costing more than wall ovens.
The material also affects the price of all home appliances. A stainless steel appliance costs more than plastic home appliances. A brand can also have an effect on the price of home appliances. Some brands, like Samsung and LG, are better-known brands that usually cost more, but may also include a warranty.
What is the recycling of home appliances?
Recycling home appliances refers to the process of dismantling and reusing the parts of an appliance, rather than throwing them in the trash. Some providers will recycle the appliance on your behalf when you purchase a new one. You may also be able to take your home appliance to a local scrapyard.
There are many benefits of recycling home appliances including:
- Save space in landfills
- Reduce the amount of environmental pollution
- Reuse parts that are still working
- Qualify you for a tax credit
Recycling home appliances is important because larger appliances take up a lot of room in landfills. It’s estimated that currently, 2.2 million pounds of home appliance waste is generated each year. Only approximately 5.6% of home appliances are recycled each year, leading to a significant increase in waste.
What are the home appliance brands?
There are a lot of home appliance brands to choose from. Here are a few of the best home appliance brands:
- GE: Refrigerators, freezers, oven ranges, microwave ovens (major appliances)
- Samsung: Refrigerators, ovens, washers, dryers (major appliances)
- Maytag: Washers, dryers, dishwashers (small and major appliances)
- Hamilton Beach: Blenders, food processors (small appliances)
- Frigidaire: Refrigerators, ranges, cooktops, wall ovens (small and major appliances)
- LG: Dishwashers, electronics, refrigerators, microwaves (major appliances and consumer electronics)
- Whirlpool: Washers, dryers, refrigerators, ranges, cooktops (major appliances)
- Amana: Refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, cooktops (major appliances)
- Miele: Dishwashers, vacuums, refrigerators, coffee makers (small and major appliances)
- Gaggenau: Ovens, coffee machines, cooktops, wine coolers (small appliances)
Is a kitchen appliance a part of a home appliance?
A kitchen appliance is a sub-type of a home appliance. Home appliance refers to all appliances within a household, including kitchen appliances. Home appliances may include items like TVs, washing machines, dryers, or consumer electronics. Kitchen appliances are limited to appliances used in the kitchen, including refrigerators or toaster ovens.
Is a wine cooler a kitchen appliance?
A wine cooler is a kitchen appliance. A wine cooler is a type of home appliance that is placed in the kitchen to chill wines. Wine coolers can also be referred to as alcohol storage, beverage storage, and drink protection. Wine coolers use little energy, can be affordable, and often last a long time.
Wine coolers are primarily used for wine but are also used to store other beverages. You can use a wine cooler to store all types of wine, including red or white wine.
Is TV a home appliance?
A TV is a home appliance. A TV is a consumer electronic, and while it’s not traditionally placed in a kitchen, it can be.
What are the most common kitchen appliances?
A kitchen appliance is any home device intended for use in the kitchen. Some of the most common kitchen appliances include:
- Microwave oven
- Wine cooler
- Toaster oven
- Food processor
- Hand blender
- Tea kettle
- Coffee maker
Some kitchen appliances are more common than others. For example, you’ll find a refrigerator in most kitchens, but you may not find a tea kettle in everyone’s kitchen. A refrigerator is a fundamental kitchen appliance. Other important kitchen appliances that are found in most kitchens include an oven, microwave oven, and sometimes a dishwasher.
Common kitchen appliances use varying levels of energy. The larger the appliance, the more energy it typically uses. Learning how to use an appliance can also help maximize energy.
What is the definition of a home appliance?
A home appliance is a machine that helps perform kitchen tasks, including cooking, chilling, blending, or brewing.
Spell appliances as: A-p-p-l-i-a-n-c-e-s.
You can also pronounce appliances as: uh-plai-uhn-suhz.
What is the etymology of the appliance?
The history of the etymology of the appliance dates back to the late 1800s. Some credit Thomas Edison’s invention of the light bulb to paving the way for appliances. Following the invention of the light bulb in 1879, other inventors were able to design powered appliances. The first powered appliance to follow was likely the electric stove, invented by Carpenter Electric Heating Co. in 1891.
By the early to mid-1900s, home appliances were well-known. The invention of the home washing machine came in 1916 and used electricity. It wasn’t until the mid-1900s that a large percentage of people had electricity though, limiting the number of people who could initially use these appliances.
What are the synonyms of home appliances?
Home appliances may also be referred to as a home device, home gadget, or kitchen appliance if it’s for the kitchen. Home appliance covers all household devices, but kitchen appliance only includes appliances specifically used in the kitchen, like refrigerators or stoves.
The words home appliance and home gadget can sometimes be used synonymously when both appliances are used to accomplish a function. A home appliance is a machine used to complete a household task, whereas a home gadget is a tool used for a specific function. A coffee machine that brews coffee may be considered both a home appliance and home gadget.
What is the first known use of appliances in the literature?.
The first known use of an appliance in literature dates back to 1865 with the invention of the coffee percolator. Numerous appliances followed shortly after, including the electric iron in 1821, the electric dishwasher in 1886, and the electric toaster in 1893. Many appliances didn’t make it to U.S. households until at least the early-1900s though, and it wasn’t until the mid-1900s when powered appliances become the norm in most households.
What is the difference between a home appliance and a kitchen appliance?
A home appliance vs a kitchen appliance is different based on the purpose of each. A kitchen appliance refers to a device used specifically in the kitchen, for cooking, storing, or cleaning purposes. Both types of appliances may come in different sizes and price ranges. Kitchen appliances commonly come in stainless steel materials, whereas home appliances are more likely to be a plastic material.