Jump to Section
A range is a kitchen appliance that combines an oven and a stovetop. The primary purpose of a range is to cook foods, either by boiling, frying, baking, or grilling.
The most common type of range today is a stainless steel range. Ranges come in other materials, including ceramic or cast iron. The materials often determine the longevity and price of range. Stainless steel ranges cost more than ceramic or cast iron ranges but last longer because of their durability. You can read more about our best range hood reviews here!
A range also comes in different sizes and types. Ranges are available in gas, electric, or induction heating. Traditional gas stoves are most common in home kitchens and if you have one of them in your kitchen, you can check out the best pots and pans for gas stove and get the most out of your gas range. A range may be freestanding or slide-in, or it may be a professional range built into a kitchen. Ranges can also range in size, between 30-48-inches wide with the size affecting the number of burners or oven space. Be sure to also check our guide to the best kitchen appliance brands for you.
The history of the range dates back to the late-1700s. Sir Benjamin Thompson invented the first cooking range. Kitchen ranges are a popular appliance found in most homes today.
What is the ideal material for a range?
The ideal material for a range is stainless steel. Stainless steel ranges are preferred because they are durable and last longer than other types of ranges., like ceramic cooking ranges.
Stainless steel ranges cost more than other types of ranges but also last longer. The cheapest type of range is made with plastic materials. Electric ranges may cost more than gas ranges initially but gas ranges can reduce your energy bill each month, leading to ongoing savings over the ownership of the cooking range.
People who are concerned about environmental health may want to choose an electric range because they don’t emit carbon monoxide or nitrogen dioxide like gas ranges.
What are the types of ranges?
The types of ranges are as follows:
- Electric range: An electric range is a range powered by electricity. An electric range is usually a smooth-top range, which means it’s free of coils.
- Gas range: A gas range is powered by gas. A gas range is usually a coil range that heats up to heat pots or pans or the inner oven.
- Induction range: An induction range is a type of electric range that transfers heat differently, often heating the pots and pans faster than an electric range.
- Freestanding range: A freestanding range is a range that is a slide-in or drop-in oven range. A freestanding range can be powered by electric, gas, or induction heating.
What is the ideal size for a range?
The ideal size of a range depends on your cooking needs and the size of your kitchen. Smaller ranges may be suitable for smaller homes or apartments and smaller families. If you have a larger kitchen or more people in your household, you may want a larger range because it allows you to cook more dishes at one time.
What size range do I need? That depends on the size of your kitchen and your family's cooking needs. Kitchen ranges are available between 30-48-inches wide. Measure the space in your kitchen where the range will be, and then decide what size range you need. You can also look at the number of burners. A traditional range has four burners, which is ideal for a household of four people. If you have more than six people in your household, you may want another burner.
What are the use cases of a range?
A use case of a range can be described as a specific way in which you cook or bake items using a kitchen range. A few use cases of ranges include:
- Boil water for soups
- Fry meats, including chicken or steak
- Bake bread in the oven
- Boil noodles for pasta
Once you learn how to use a range, you’ll find many use cases. Ranges have many uses including baking, frying, grilling, and boiling.
Can you use a range as an oven?
Yes, you can use a range as an oven. A range has an attached oven that you can use to bake foods. Similar to a cooktop, an oven is powered by either gas or electricity. It’s possible to buy a stove and oven separately, or as one unit, which is referred to as a range.
Can you use a range as a grill?
Yes, you can use a range as a grill. You can place a long grill pan on top of the cooktop to mimic the cooking method a grill uses.
Can you use a range for cooking soup?
Yes, you can use a range for cooking soup. Cooking soup with a range is easy and you can place a pot on top of the cooktop to boil the soup.
Do ranges affect the flavor of food?
The type of range you use shouldn’t affect the flavor of food. It’s possible for ranges made with cheaper materials to not evenly or consistently heat foods, which can affect flavor. Some people claim to taste smoke on their food, which occurs from a gas-powered range, but not an electric-powered range.
What are the best range brands?
The best range brands right now are the following:
- Best overall range: Samsung
- Best electric range: GE
- Best gas range: Cafe
- Best induction range: LG
What is the lifespan of a range?
The typical lifespan of a range is between 13-15 years. The frequency of use and the maintenance of range affect longevity. Keeping up with routine maintenance and repairs is important in maintaining the life of your range.
The factors that affect the lifespan of a range include:
- Frequency of use: How frequently you use your range, including the level of heat used, will affect how fast it wears out. This is because the electric or gas power can reduce in efficiency over time. The seal on the door of the oven can also wear down after repeat opening and closing.
- Maintenance and upkeep: Maintenance and repairs are important in extending the life of your kitchen range. This includes frequently cleaning the oven and removing any food debris from the cooktop between uses. It also means using oven-safe utensils each time you cook.
- Type of range: The initial type of range you choose can also affect how long it lasts. An electric range lasts, on average, 13 years, versus a gas range, with an average of 15 years.
- Installation: The initial installation of a range also affects its longevity. A built-in range may last longer than a freestanding range.
The cost of a range varies between $2,00-$10,000. Ranges made with plastic materials are likely to be on the lower end of the range, whereas ranges with extra burners or ovens may cost even more.
How does culture affect the usage of ranges?
Most households all over the world have a range in their kitchen. Ranges have become a popular, and often necessary, an appliance for cooking. Some smaller kitchens in Asia do focus on minimalistic appliances and may not have a range. Some cultures may also choose to separate the cooktop and oven.
What are the relevant kitchen tools to ranges?
The most relevant kitchen tools connected to a range include:
- Cooktop: A cooktop is similar to a range because both are appliances used to cook different foods. A cooktop is different from a range because a cooktop only boils or fries foods, whereas a range also has a built-in oven.
- Oven: An oven is similar to a range because both are appliances used to cook foods. An oven is different from a range because an oven also has a built-in cooktop.
- Pans: High-quality pans are important when cooking on a range. You want pans that are compatible with the type of range you have.
- Pots: High-quality pots are also important when cooking on a range. You want pots that are compatible with the type of range you have.
What is the primary difference between a range and a microwave oven?
The primary difference between a range vs a microwave oven is that a range offers a variety of cooking methods, including frying, grilling, baking, and heating. A microwave only offers one method of cooking, which involves re-heating foods.
Another difference between a range and a microwave is the types of foods you can make using each appliance. A range is capable of cooking raw foods, like chicken or steak. A microwave can only re-heat foods.
What are the primary features of the best ranges?
Here are eight features of the best range:
- Dual-oven: A dual-oven allows you to bake two items at one time.
- Self-cleaning: A self-cleaning feature cleans your oven for you automatically.
- Cooking modes: Some ranges today come with pre-programmed cooking modes, like the ability to slow cook or proof bread.
- Remote integration: Higher-end ranges allow you to remotely connect to them with the ability to control settings via an app.
- Dual-fuel: Some ranges have dual-fuel options, meaning you can choose an electric cooktop and a gas oven.
- Warming drawer: A range with a warming drawer helps you cook larger meals by keeping items warm.
- Warning lights: Warning lights let you, and other household members, know that the cooktop is still hot.
- Convection settings: Convection settings allow you to cook foods in the oven using convection heating.
What are the parts of a range?
The parts of a range include the following:
- Burners: The burners are what heats foods on the cooktop. If you have a gas stove, the burners are coils. If you have an electric stove, they’re built into the cooktop.
- Element: The heating element is what supplies power to the range, including either the cooktop or oven.
- Controls: The controls are where you set your temperature or settings when cooking different ingredients.
- Range hood: The range hood sits over the top of the oven and collects smoke, redirecting it outside of the house.
What are the repair options for a range?
If your oven stops working, you may be able to replace or repair certain parts, including:
- Coils: The coils or grates on your cooktop can become dull or damaged over time. It can be easy and affordable to replace the coils.
- Controls: The controls may stop working, or become less sensitive over time. You may be able to easily change the controls.
- Range hood: The range hood can be replaced without also replacing the range.
- Shut off valves: The valves may be replaced over time if they become loose or damaged.
What is the difference between a range and an air fryer?
The biggest difference between a range and an air fryer is the heating method used with each type of appliance. A range uses air to transfer heat to the cooktop or oven. An air fryer circulates hot air to heat foods.
Another difference between a range and an air fryer is the size of each appliance. A range is a large, major appliance used to cook dishes. An air fryer is a small, portable appliance used occasionally.
How did range get its name?
The kitchen range gets its name from the early 15th-century. Back then, people referred to appliances that combined the oven and cooktop as ranges because they had more than one oven and at least two cooking spots.
You can spell range as: R-a-n-g-e.
To pronounce range, say: (Raynj).
What is another word for range?
Another word for a range is cooktop, stovetop, or oven.
What is the history of a range?
The history of the range dates back to the 1790s. Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford invented the first antique range. Although, you can find similar appliances to a range all the way back to the third century in Japan. These historic ranges were made with clay, and were primarily heated using wood.
Rumford came along and invented the range, along with the chimney. The chimney allowed a more efficient cooking method. Rumford’s invention took off all over Europe, including in the soup kitchens that he built, because they were a cost-efficient method of cooking. By the 1850s, most households had a cooking range. In 1867, Elizabeth Hawks of New York, United States, improved on the range by making them more suitable for baking. In 1868, Mary Evard made the first dual-range, which allowed for dry and moist baking. Today, most households all over the world have some type of kitchen range.