To make the perfect 7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs we've included ingredients and directions for you to easily follow. This recipe is considered an intermediate level recipe. The total time to make this recipe will be 9 hr 30 min. You will need a prep time of approximately 30 min and a cook time of 30 min. This 7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs will produce enough food for 4 servings.
Depending on your culture or family tradition there can be multiple variations for making this 7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs recipe. Once you've read through and familiarize yourself with our recommended ingredients and directions, you can add your own twist to this recipe to make it your own! We've included a list of potential cookware or bakeware items below that might be necessary for this 7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs recipe.
7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Asian pear puree (preferably from Korean Shingo pears)
- 1/4 teaspoon shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7-spice powder)
- Pinch 5-spice powder
- 2 heaping tablespoons Chinese yellow rock sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 inch scallion, sliced
- 2 pounds uncut boneless short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs Directions
- For the garlic mixture: Place the oil and garlic in a shallow frying pan. Mix until combined and the oil just covers the garlic, adding more oil as necessary. Cook over medium heat until the oil begins to bubble and the garlic turns golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat and drain off the oil. Set the garlic aside and let cool.
- For the BBQ marinade: Combine the pear puree, sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, pepper, schichimi togarashi and 5-spice powder in a 2-quart saucepan and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Cook over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Add the prepared garlic mixture, lower the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the onion and scallion. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove any excess fat and sinew from the ribs. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and transfer to a 4-quart container.
- Slowly pour the cooled BBQ marinade over the ribs and mix until thoroughly coated. Marinate the ribs in the refrigerator at least 8 hours.
- Drain the ribs and onion of excess BBQ marinade through a sieve or strainer. Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the ribs and onion and cook, mixing often to prevent burning, until caramelized and cooked to desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, 3 to 5 minutes for medium. Serve on rice, bread or salad.
- Short Ribs
- Beef : Beef is the culinary name for meat from cattle.
In prehistoric times, humans hunted aurochs and later domesticated them. Since then, numerous breeds of cattle have been bred specifically for the quality or quantity of their meat. Today, beef is the third most widely consumed meat in the world, after pork and poultry. As of 2018, the United States, Brazil, and China were the largest producers of beef.
Beef can be prepared in various ways; cuts are often used for steak, which can be cooked to varying degrees of doneness, while trimmings are often ground or minced, as found in most hamburgers. Beef contains protein, iron, and vitamin B12. Along with other kinds of red meat, high consumption is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer and coronary heart disease, especially when processed. Beef has a high environmental impact, being a primary driver of deforestation with the highest greenhouse gas emissions of any agricultural product.
- Main Dish
- Marinating Recipes
- Sauteing Recipes
Potential cookware or bakeware items for your recipe
Below are cookware or bakeware items that might be needed for this 7-Spice Garlic BBQ Short Ribs recipe or similar recipes. If certain kitchen tools don't apply, then simply skip to the next one.
- Cooking pots
- Frying pan
- Cutting board