To make the perfect Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad we've included ingredients and directions for you to easily follow. This recipe is considered a beginner level recipe. The total time to make this recipe will be 45 min. This Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad will produce enough food for 4 servings.
Depending on your culture or family tradition there can be multiple variations for making this Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad recipe. Once you've read through and familiarize yourself with our recommended ingredients and directions, you can add your own twist to this recipe to make it your own! We've included a list of potential cookware or bakeware items below that might be necessary for this Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad recipe.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated zest
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch curly kale (about 10 ounces), woody stems removed and leaves very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- Four bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 oil-packed anchovy filets (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 small bunch chives, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup chopped)
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad Directions
- For the lemony kale salad: Whisk the lemon juice, Dijon, lemon zest, pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt and several grinds of pepper in a large bowl until combined. Slowly whisk in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil until smooth and emulsified. Add the kale and toss until well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside at room temperature to marinate and soften, at least 15 minutes at and up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F. Toss together the panko, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper in a 6- to 7-inch baking dish until evenly combined. Place the baking dish in the air fryer basket and air fry until the panko are golden brown, stirring halfway through, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the dish from the air fryer, stir in the Pecorino and set aside.
- For the chicken thighs: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry between a few paper towels (this will help the skin get crispy). Rub the lemon zest onto the skinless side of each thigh and season with a good pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper. Flip the thighs over, rub the olive oil onto the skin and season each thigh with a good pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper. Place the thighs in the air fryer basket skin-side up, leaving a little space between each piece. Air fry until the skin is crispy and the chicken is browned all over and cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes.
- For the salsa verde: Meanwhile, finely chop the capers, anchovy filets (if using), garlic and a small pinch of salt with a sharp chef’s knife, mashing and scraping the mixture until it becomes a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the olive oil, vinegar and lemon zest. Fold in the parsley, basil and chives until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if needed.
- To serve, give the kale salad a good toss, then top with the toasted panko and some more grated Pecorino. Transfer the chicken thighs to a dinner plate or serving platter and spoon the salsa verde over the top. Serve with the kale salad.
- Kale : Kale (/keɪl/), or leaf cabbage, belongs to a group of cabbage (Brassica oleracea) cultivars grown for their edible leaves, although some are used as ornamentals. Kale plants have green or purple leaves, and the central leaves do not form a head (as with headed cabbage). Kales are considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most of the many domesticated forms of Brassica oleracea.
- Chicken Thigh
- Main Dish
Potential cookware or bakeware items for your recipe
Below are cookware or bakeware items that might be needed for this Air Fryer Chicken Thighs with Salsa Verde and Lemony Kale Salad recipe or similar recipes. If certain kitchen tools don't apply, then simply skip to the next one.
- Cooking pots
- Frying pan
- Cutting board