To make the perfect Air Fryer Fish Sticks we've included ingredients and directions for you to easily follow. This recipe is considered a beginner level recipe. The total time to make this recipe will be 40 min. This Air Fryer Fish Sticks will produce enough food for 4 servings.
Depending on your culture or family tradition there can be multiple variations for making this Air Fryer Fish Sticks recipe. Once you've read through and familiarize yourself with our recommended ingredients and directions, you can add your own twist to this recipe to make it your own! We've included a list of potential cookware or bakeware items below that might be necessary for this Air Fryer Fish Sticks recipe.
Air Fryer Fish Sticks Ingredients
- Nonstick cooking spray, for the fryer basket
- One 1-pound piece fresh cod, skin removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Tartar sauce, for serving
Air Fryer Fish Sticks Directions
- Spray the basket of a 3.5-quart air fryer with cooking spray and set aside. Cut the cod into strips, about 3 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. Pat dry between a couple paper towels, then season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Whisk the flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt in a second shallow bowl. Whisk the breadcrumbs, Pecorino Romano and seafood seasoning in a third shallow bowl until combined. Dip a piece of fish in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in the beaten egg. Dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning until evenly coated. Transfer to a large plate or a rimmed baking sheet and continue until all the fish are coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Working in batches, place some of the fish sticks in the fryer basket in a single layer, then spray lightly with more nonstick cooking spray. Cook until the fish sticks are golden brown and opaque throughout, flipping halfway through, 3 to 4 minutes a side.
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce, for dipping.
- Cod Recipes
- Fish : Fish are aquatic, craniate, gill-bearing animals that lack limbs with digits. Included in this definition are the living hagfish, lampreys, and cartilaginous and bony fish as well as various extinct related groups. Around 99% of living fish species are ray-finned fish, belonging to the class Actinopterygii, with over 95% belonging to the teleost subgrouping.
The earliest organisms that can be classified as fish were soft-bodied chordates that first appeared during the Cambrian period. Although they lacked a true spine, they possessed notochords which allowed them to be more agile than their invertebrate counterparts. Fish would continue to evolve through the Paleozoic era, diversifying into a wide variety of forms. Many fish of the Paleozoic developed external armor that protected them from predators. The first fish with jaws appeared in the Silurian period, after which many (such as sharks) became formidable marine predators rather than just the prey of arthropods.
Most fish are ectothermic (“cold-blooded”), allowing their body temperatures to vary as ambient temperatures change, though some of the large active swimmers like white shark and tuna can hold a higher core temperature. Fish can acoustically communicate with each other, most often in the context of feeding, aggression or courtship.
Fish are abundant in most bodies of water. They can be found in nearly all aquatic environments, from high mountain streams (e.g., char and gudgeon) to the abyssal and even hadal depths of the deepest oceans (e.g., cusk-eels and snailfish), although no species has yet been documented in the deepest 25% of the ocean. With 34,300 described species, fish exhibit greater species diversity than any other group of vertebrates.
Fish are an important resource for humans worldwide, especially as food. Commercial and subsistence fishers hunt fish in wild fisheries or farm them in ponds or in cages in the ocean (in aquaculture). They are also caught by recreational fishers, kept as pets, raised by fishkeepers, and exhibited in public aquaria. Fish have had a role in culture through the ages, serving as deities, religious symbols, and as the subjects of art, books and movies.
Tetrapods emerged within lobe-finned fishes, so cladistically they are fish as well. However, traditionally fish are rendered paraphyletic by excluding the tetrapods (i.e., the amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals which all descended from within the same ancestry). Because in this manner the term “fish” is defined negatively as a paraphyletic group, it is not considered a formal taxonomic grouping in systematic biology, unless it is used in the cladistic sense, including tetrapods. The traditional term pisces (also ichthyes) is considered a typological, but not a phylogenetic classification.
- Main Dish
Potential cookware or bakeware items for your recipe
Below are cookware or bakeware items that might be needed for this Air Fryer Fish Sticks recipe or similar recipes. If certain kitchen tools don't apply, then simply skip to the next one.
- Cooking pots
- Frying pan
- Cutting board