To make the perfect Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad we've included ingredients and directions for you to easily follow. This recipe is considered a beginner level recipe. The total time to make this recipe will be 1 hr 20 min. This Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad will produce enough food for 4 taco salads.
Depending on your culture or family tradition there can be multiple variations for making this Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad recipe. Once you've read through and familiarize yourself with our recommended ingredients and directions, you can add your own twist to this recipe to make it your own! We've included a list of potential cookware or bakeware items below that might be necessary for this Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad recipe.
Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad Ingredients
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 10-to-12-inch flour tortillas
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic or garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion or onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound sirloin steak (about 1-inch thick)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, roughly chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 2.25-ounce cans sliced black olives, drained
- 4 ounces cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (or a combination), shredded
- Fresh salsa, for topping
Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad Directions
- Make the tortilla bowls: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 450 degrees F. Put 4 empty cans (labels removed) or small ovenproof bowls upside down on a baking sheet. Drape a square of foil over each can and coat with cooking spray.
- Fill a shallow bowl with 1/2 inch warm water; whisk in the olive oil. Soak each tortilla in the water until soft, about 5 seconds, then drape over the prepared cans, pleating as needed. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and invert the tortilla bowls onto the baking sheet; remove the cans and foil. Spray the inside of the tortilla bowls with cooking spray, season with salt and continue baking until crisp, 4 to 5 more minutes; let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the steak: Whisk the dried garlic, onion and oregano, the cumin, chile powder, scallions, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Put the steak in a shallow dish and rub with 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture (reserve the rest for the dressing). Add the bell pepper and sliced onion and toss. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the steak and scatter the bell pepper and onion around it. Sear the steak about 5 minutes per side, then transfer to a cutting board. Continue cooking the pepper and onion until just tender, about 3 more minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Assemble the salad: Whisk the mayonnaise, buttermilk and the reserved spice mixture in a large bowl until smooth. Add the cucumber, lettuce, beans and olives and toss. Divide the salad among the tortilla bowls. Top with the steak, bell pepper, onion, cheese and salsa.
- Steak Salad
- Salad Recipes
- Steak : A steak is a meat generally sliced across the muscle fibers, potentially including a bone. It is normally grilled, though can also be pan-fried. Steak can also be cooked in sauce, such as in steak and kidney pie, or minced and formed into patties, such as hamburgers.
Besides cattle, steaks are also often cut from other animals, including bison, camel, goat, horse, kangaroo, sheep, ostrich, pigs, reindeer, turkey, deer, and zebu, as well as various types of fish, especially salmon and large fish such as swordfish, shark, and marlin. For some meats, such as pork, lamb and mutton, chevon, and veal, these cuts are often referred to as chops. Some cured meat, such as gammon, is commonly served as steak.
Grilled portobello mushroom may be called mushroom steak, and similarly for other vegetarian dishes. Imitation steak is a food product that is formed into a steak shape from various pieces of meat. Grilled fruits such as watermelon have been used as vegetarian steak alternatives.
Exceptions, in which the meat is sliced parallel to the fibers, include the skirt steak cut from the plate, the flank steak cut from the abdominal muscles, and the silverfinger steak cut from the loin and including three rib bones. In a larger sense, fish steaks, ground meat steaks, pork steak, and many more varieties of steak are known.
- Main Dish
Potential cookware or bakeware items for your recipe
Below are cookware or bakeware items that might be needed for this Almost-Famous Steak Taco Salad recipe or similar recipes. If certain kitchen tools don't apply, then simply skip to the next one.
- Cooking pots
- Frying pan
- Cutting board