The carpet is one of the most vulnerable parts of your house. It has to endure the wear and tear of family members, pets, spills, accidents, and more. That’s why it’s so important to know how to repair a carpet when something happens. Unfortunately, many people are not sure where or how they should start repairing their carpets which can lead to bigger problems in the future.
In this article, you will learn how to repair a damaged carpet yourself and how to repair carpet patch. Keep reading to find out more.
Steps to repair a carpet with carpet patching
The below are the steps that you should follow.
Image Credit: http://mikebryancarpetcleaning.com
Step 1: Find the Damage
The first step is to find where the damage to your carpet is. This could be anything from moth holes, spills, or rips/tears. Once you’ve located the damage, it will need to be cleaned up before you can move on with any repairs. To do this, simply use a damp cloth and run it over the affected area several times. You may also want to disinfect the area once you’re done if there are stains present to prevent mold build-up.
Step 2: Clean Up Old Glue
Next, you have to clean up all of the old glue in your home that was used for previous repair jobs. To do this, use a flat head screwdriver to scrape it up. Make sure to wear protective gloves and go over the area several times so you don’t miss anything. Afterward, you can clean up any remaining residue using hot water and soap or an all-purpose cleaner.
Step 3: Patch in New Pieces of Carpet
Now that your damage has been cleaned up and old glue removed, it’s time for patching in new pieces of carpet. This is where having two pieces of double-sided tape comes into play. The first piece will be placed against the outside border of the hole/damage and the second piece on the inside. You then press them together firmly and just like that, you have patched the hole.
Step 4: Cover with an Adhesive Protector Sheet
Once the patches have been applied, you want to cover them with a protector sheet. This will keep things from moving around as well as prevent any damages from occurring again. Once you’ve put this down, put weights on top of it and leave overnight so everything can be set.
After 24 hours have passed, remove the weights and your repair job is complete. Just make sure to vacuum or sweep up any debris that has built up in the area before using it again.
The process for repairing a carpet is relatively simple but can take some time depending on how big/bad of a tear or hole you have in your carpeting. If done correctly, however, you can accomplish this task in your spare time and save yourself the hassle of finding carpet repair professionals. Plus, it’s always good to know how to take care of things yourself.
Taking care of your carpets with carpet patching
Taking care of your carpets is important because it will ensure they last as long as possible. This way, you won’t have to worry about spending more money on professional repair jobs and can fix things yourself if needed. Always make sure to follow these tips:
- Always vacuum and sweep up debris and dirt before cleaning so it doesn’t damage the fibers in your carpeting
- If there are stains present, disinfect the area after cleaning
- If you spill something, don’t try to clean it up with a paper towel or anything that could create friction such as rubbing alcohol
- Help prevent wear and tear by using runners once pets enter certain rooms of the
- Always use a carpet pad when putting down anything heavy
- Keep pets off the carpets whenever possible. This will prevent them from causing any holes, tears, or marks in your carpets which can be costly to repair.
Carpet vs Hardwood Flooring Comparison
If you’re on the fence about putting carpet down in your home or not, one thing to consider is whether or not it would be better to do the job with either carpeting or hardwood flooring. Both can offer you different benefits but both come with downsides as well. To help you decide which one would best suit your needs, here’s a quick comparison between the two that may alter your decision:
- Carpet is great for noise control and insulation
- Hardwood floors are known for being easy to clean/easy to maintain
- Carpet comes in many different styles and designs that can match any style of home
- Hardwood floors look more natural and have a cleaner look on their own without any added decorations
- Carpet will help keep homes warmer by retaining heat from the floor during winter months
- Hardwood floors are seen as more luxurious because of their look/texture/designs
Comparing the pros and cons of carpet vs hardwood flooring is important because it will help you decide which is the best material for your home. There’s no rush in making a decision but with these tips and pros/cons, you can better understand how each option works so you can choose what is going to be best for you.
Here's How To Deep Clean A Carpet Yourself
Despite what you may have been told, it is possible to clean a carpet yourself. Here’s how:
- The first step is to vacuum the entire area well so you get all the dirt/debris out from between the fibers
- Next, mix 3 gallons of warm water with 4 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid and 1 cup of ammonia
- Use a spray bottle to apply this mixture onto the carpeting and scrub until suds form
- Allow this to sit for about 15 minutes before going over everything again with a wet vac or dry towel until it dries completely
By putting in some extra time and effort, you can easily deep clean your carpeting just as well as a professional and save yourself some money in the process.
Image Credit: http://northstarcleaning.co.uk
Final thoughts on repairing a carpet with carpet patching
In conclusion, repairing a carpet is an important step in prolonging its life. If you have the knowledge and know-how, then it could also be a great way of saving money as opposed to throwing out a perfectly usable floor covering.