Rooftop gardening is a great way to garden if you don't have a lot of space. You can use containers to plant your vegetables and flowers, and there are many options for what kind of containers you can use. Rooftop gardens are also great for cooling down your home in the summertime.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of rooftop gardening, how to garden on a rooftop, and plants that grow well in roof gardens. We will also give you tips for watering and fertilizing your plants, as well as show you some great container options for your rooftop garden.
Let's get started.
Image Credit: http://gardeningknowhow.com
What Is Rooftop Gardening?
In essence, rooftop gardening is the process of growing plants on a rooftop. This can be done using containers, or you can plant directly in the soil. Rooftop gardens are a great way to make use of unused space, and they can also help to cool down your home in the summertime.
The key thing about having a rooftop garden is that you have access to plenty of sunlight. This is important for growing plants, and it's one of the reasons why rooftop gardens are so popular.
Rooftop Gardening Benefits
There are many benefits to having a rooftop garden. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Increased home cooling in the summertime – A rooftop garden can help to cool down your home in the summertime. This is because the plants will transpire water, which will help to cool down the surrounding air.
- Increased insulation in the wintertime – A rooftop garden can also help to insulate your home in the wintertime. A garden will act as an extra layer of insulation on your roof, and it will help to keep the heat in your home.
- Reduces stormwater runoff – A rooftop garden can also help to reduce stormwater runoff. Since a rooftop garden will absorb rainwater, it will help to reduce the amount of water that runs off of your roof and into the street or storm drains.
- Increased home value – A rooftop garden can also increase the value of your home. This is because a garden is a great way to add extra living space to your home, and it can also make your home more attractive to potential buyers.
How To Garden On A Rooftop
Now that we've discussed the benefits of rooftop gardening, let's take a look at how you can garden on a rooftop.
There are two main ways to garden on a rooftop: using containers or planting directly in the soil. Let's take a look at each option.
- Container gardening – Container gardening is a great way to grow plants on a rooftop. You can use any type of container, and you can also control the amount of soil and water that your plants get.
- Planting directly in the soil – Planting directly in the roof garden soil is another way to garden on a rooftop. This is a great option if you want to grow larger plants, and it's also a great way to save money on containers.
When choosing containers for your rooftop garden, be sure to choose ones that are weatherproof and durable. You will also want to choose containers that are large enough to hold the amount of soil that your plants need.
Image Credit: http://euronews.com
Some popular container options for rooftop gardens include:
- Plastic pots – Plastic pots are a popular choice for rooftop gardens because they are weatherproof and durable. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and they are also affordable.
- Ceramic pots – Ceramic pots are another popular choice for rooftop gardens. Ceramic pots are more expensive than plastic pots, but they are also stronger and more attractive.
- Wooden boxes – Wooden boxes are a great choice for container gardens because they are weatherproof and durable. They also have a natural look that can be appealing to some gardeners. However, wooden boxes are more expensive than plastic and ceramic pots.
Once you've chosen the right containers for your rooftop garden, you will need to fill them with soil. Be sure to use high-quality potting soil, and be sure to add fertilizer to the soil before planting your plants.
When watering your plants, be sure to water them deeply and evenly. This will help to prevent root rot, and it will also help your plants to grow healthy and strong.
Types Of Flat Roof Material Options
There are a variety of materials that can be used to create a flat roof. Let's take a look at some of these so that you know which one is best for your needs.
- Tar and Gravel – Tar and gravel are one of the oldest types of flat roofing material. It is made up of two layers: a layer of tar, which acts as a waterproofing agent, and a layer of gravel, which helps to protect the tar from the sun's rays.
- Asphalt Shingles – Asphalt shingles are the most popular type of flat roofing material. They are made up of asphalt, fiberglass, and mineral granules, and they come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Rubber Membranes – Rubber membranes are a type of flat roofing material that is made from recycled tires. They are durable and waterproof, and they can be installed over a variety of different roofing materials.
- Metal Roofs – Metal roofs are becoming increasingly popular for flat roofs. They are available in a variety of colors and styles, and they are relatively strong over a long-term period.
- Green Roofs – Green roofs are a type of flat roofing material that is planted with vegetation. They help to cool the building in the summer, and they also help to absorb rainwater.
When choosing a flat roofing material, be sure to choose one that is durable and weatherproof. You will also want to consider the climate in your area when choosing a roofing material.
Making A Zen Garden
A zen garden is a type of garden that is designed to promote relaxation and stress relief. Zen gardens are often created with gravel, rocks, and plants, and they can be used indoors or outdoors.
When creating a zen garden, it is important to choose the right materials. For example, you will want to choose rocks that are smooth and round. This will help to create a sense of tranquility in your garden. You will also want to use gravel or sand to create texture and contrast in your garden.
Plants are another important element of a zen garden. Choose plants that are known for their calming properties, such as lavender or chamomile. You will also want to avoid using plants that require a lot of maintenance.
When creating a zen garden, it is important to keep the design simple. Use a few key elements to create a sense of calm and relaxation. Be sure to avoid using too many colors or textures, as this can be distracting.
Final Thoughts On Rooftop Gardening
In conclusion, rooftop gardening is a great way to grow plants, and it has several benefits. If you are thinking about starting a rooftop garden, be sure to choose the right containers and soil, and be sure to water your plants deeply and evenly. With a little bit of care, your rooftop garden will thrive.