Dressing up the exterior of your home doesn't have to be a difficult or expensive task. Installing wall trim is a quick and easy way to give your house an updated look without having to do any major renovations. There are many different types of trim available, in a variety of styles and materials, so you can find one that will match the look of your home.
In this article, we will discuss the different wall trim options available, as well as how much they cost and where to purchase them. Read on for all you need to know about adding some exterior decor to your house.
Image Credit: http://in.pinterest.com
What is Wall Trim?
Wall trims are defined as moldings that are installed around the exterior of your home's walls, usually at the top and bottom. Wall trims can be made out of a variety of materials, such as wood or metal. They give the overall appearance of your house an updated look by dressing up its exterior.
Wall trims also protect walls from damage due to moisture coming in through cracks between boards or plaster. The trim is attached to the walls of your house, filling in partially open spaces. This can prevent moisture damage, as well as help make your home look cleaner and more polished.
You don't have to do unreasonable amounts of renovations or spend a lot of money getting new wall trims.
What Are Different Types Of Wall Trims?
There are many different types of exterior trim available for purchase. The most popular type is wood, but you can also find metal, stone, and even synthetic options that mimic wood. Each type of trim has its benefits and disadvantages, so you should consider which options are most suitable for your house before purchasing any trims.
- Metal – Metal is durable, flexible, and somewhat inexpensive. It's also resistant to water damage. However, metal exterior trims can be difficult to install without professional help. Plus they're not as natural-looking as wood.
- Wood – Wood is the most common type of exterior wall trim, and for good reason. It is an affordable option that can match any house style. However, they are more susceptible to damage due to water seeping in through cracks or holes in your walls, so you'll have to make sure these are filled before applying the trim.
- Stone – Stonewall trims can last a long time and give your house a natural look, but they're expensive and require professional installation. Plus they're heavy which could damage your walls if installed improperly.
- Synthetic Trim – Synthetic trims are made from plastic or vinyl, so they won't rot or decay outdoors. However, they can be somewhat costly and don't look as natural as wood or stone.
The Pros And Cons Of Wall Trims
Here is a list of pros and cons associated with each of the most popular types of wall trim:
- Pros: Durable, flexible, resistant to water damage
- Cons: Difficult to install without professional help, not as natural looking as wood or stone
- Pros: Most common type of exterior trims, affordable and can match any style of home
- Cons: More susceptible to water damage than other trims, may need professional installation for best results due to weight and fragility of wood
- Pros: Lasts a long time and looks natural
- Cons: Expensive and requires professional installation; heavy which could damage walls if installed incorrectly.
- Pros: Made from plastic or vinyl, can last a long time and doesn't rot.
- Cons: Not as natural-looking and somewhat costly; may not be suitable for some houses due to weight of the material.
How Much Do Wall Trims Cost?
Wall trims aren't extremely expensive, but they aren't the cheapest option around either. Depending on the type of trim you choose (wood or stone) and where you purchase it (a home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot is usually cheaper than purchasing online), these trims can cost anywhere from $30 – 600 each. However, when painting your walls, you should add another $200 to that price to account for various additional costs. The majority of the time, painting your house will give you a cleaner look than just adding new trims, so many people choose to do this instead.
Image Credit: http://creativedesignsolutions.info
Other Home Improvement Ideas Related To Walls
Walls are the most traditional place for homeowners to add trims, but there are other ways you can improve your house without having to spend a lot of money. Here are some modern ideas on how you can dress up your walls:
- Paint – Painting is still the most popular way to give any room in your house a new look. You can choose any color or texture that suits your tastes. Adding wall trims must be done before painting since they would cover up your freshly painted walls otherwise. Take off all of the old wall trims first before adding any new ones. Understanding how much paint is needed is always helpful in staying on budget.
- Wallpaper – Nowadays, people are using wallpaper more than ever. It's easy to install and can be removed without too much hassle when you move or get tired of looking at it. Just like with paint, make sure all your trims are taken down before updating your walls with wallpaper. Once again, having an idea about how much wallpaper you need will help you stay within budget.
- Remodeling – If you're the type of person who likes spending money on making you house feel like a home, then remodeling is a great option for you. You'll most likely have to hire someone to do this work for you but it is well worth it when considering how long-lasting they are. Plus there are so many different modern designs to choose from.
- Decorative Lighting – If you want to update your walls without breaking the bank, adding lighting is always a good option since it's also functional. A few strategically placed lamps can make any room look like it has new trims. Since they're not super expensive either, this idea is especially great if you move frequently and don't want to spend extra money on decorating every time.
Final Thoughts On Wall Trims
In conclusion, a wall trim is a great way to dress up your home without spending a lot of money. If you want to use wallpaper or another design on the wall, then this method may not be for you, but more traditional wall trim will look great and add character to any room in your house.